Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What an afternoon...

My dad left for a business meeting (over lunch) so I was at the office by myself when one of our customers came in to pick up product. I was waiting for him to put his power tailgate down so I could get him loaded...once the gate was down he went to jump up in the back of his truck but lost his balance and slipped off the back...he caught himself from hitting the ground but he immediately grabbed his leg. I asked him if he was alright and he yelled out "my leg!!!" I jumped off the forklift but was not prepared for what I was about to see!!! When he slipped...he caught his leg on a piece of the steel plate on the tailgate and it laid it right open :(

He had blood literally pouring out of his leg then he yells "I'm on blood thinner...get help I'm gonna bleed out!!!" I got him to sit down and the blood was still just pouring...I've never seen this much blood in my life! I ran to get a towel and he's still yelling for me to hurry cause he's gonna bleed out...I panicked and called 911 from my office (landline) so they told me to hang up and call from my cell...I called again and during the transfer I got disconnected...actually I got disconnected twice so I quickly called my dad and told him we had an emergency and I needed him...then I called 911 again and finally got thru to someone!

Before I knew it my dad was back and his training as a fireman kicked right in...he got him down on the ground and immediately applied pressure until the firemen and paramedics arrived. I didn't know how bad Bills leg was until the paramedics cut his pant leg off...man the cut was really horrible! They took him by ambulance to the ER after a few hours and 18 stitches I was able to pick him up at the hospital so he could drive back to Lafayette.

After it was over I talked with my dad and said I wished I was able to keep it together better...I knew that I should have done exactly what my dad did but I panicked the more Bill yelled that he was going to bleed out. Dad told me that you just have to stay calm so you can think clearly. I thank God for watching over us because this could have been seriously worse!!

I'm also so thankful for my dad...this is the 2nd time this week that he's stepped up and helped someone in need...Monday he helped a boy at the lake who's pontoon had a hole in it and was sinking!

Dad...you're my HERO
and I LOVE YOU!!!


1 comment:

Jayme said...

Aw, that's so sweet! All of his kids are clearly crazy about him ;o) He is a wonderful man and that is a great picture of him. I think I'll steal it. (btw, anyone would've freaked out over a gouge like that. thanks for not taking pictures!)