Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Darryl Buchanan

My good friend Tina is blessed to be a part of an amazing group of musician friends! For the past couple of months I've been slowly making the rounds hearing each of them...and each is a different style of music. Darryl Buchanan is someone I've heard about for years and I finally got to meet him in person last fall [actually he came at the tail end of my lia sophia party and hung out with us girls] he brought a sample from his gospel cd and I thought he was amazing!

Darryl's voice has been compared with Earth Wind & Fire Phillip Baily, Prince and Babyface. He was the opening act for Jr. Walker and has performed at the famed Apollo Theatre, Saturday Night Live and has toured Europe with James Browns band leader. He also performed at President Bill Clintons Inaugural Ball and toured with the Legends of Motown as well as performing on stage with The Temptations!

I was so excited when I knew I was going to get to finally hear him...I was like a little kid trying to record snippets of each song [sorry about the poor lighting]...you can tell he truly loves what he's doing. I'm also finding that there's a brotherhood amongst musicians...they all come out to support each other and almost always invite the other musician to sit in on a song...

Later in the evening I saw a very well dress couple walk in...the other musicians that were hanging with us started saying "He's here...there he is" and I guess this guy was some bigwig coming to see Darryl perform :) He stayed for a couple of songs...made eye contact with Darryl...smiled and did what I call the musician head nod and left...

Darryl never missed a beat!



This is J.D. and he too is beyond amazing!!

No comments: